Global Positioning System (GPS)
PathAway navigation system uses satellite signals to determine
your exact location, speed and direction of travel. PathAway
will work with most embedded and external GPS units, Add-on GPS devices,
Compact Flash GPS, and Bluetooth GPS.
Supports devices with internal GPS or any GPS receiver that
supports NMEA0183 v2.0 or higher compatible . Some proprietary
protocols are also supported.
GPS is not required to use the software. Pathaway's powerful
hi-res mapping engine allows you to capture and view all your
- GPS support for most devices.
- Customizable screens can display current location, elevation,
speed, direction, plus navigational information such as distance,time,
and direction to destination. Over 30 different display options
- Moving map centers on your current location. While travelling,
you can set the map to be always North up, or have the map
rotate so your direction of travel is always facing up.
- Record your track for later back-tracking, or reviewing
- Proximity notification displays points you are approaching,
their distance away, and position relative to your direction
- Big Compass screen can show your most important information
at a glance. Customize the Compass to suit your needs.
- Use online maps from OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap, Google, and USGS Topos;
- Maps are downloaded on-the-fly as you travel;
- Maps can be cached for off-line use when connectivity is not available;
Prepare your own maps for use in PathAway, using the free
Map Manager application. Scan your paper maps or get digital
maps from CD ROM software, or web sites.
- Multi-resolution color support. (Grayscale, 256 color, and
new high definition color).
- Zoom in-out between maps of different resolution.
- Scroll by dragging map with the stylus for touch-screen devices, or use the navigation directional keys.
- Map calibration. Once maps have been transferred to the
device, you can fine-tune the map coordinates by matching
the positions of known points on the maps, with the actual
position displayed by the map.
- Capture and mark unlimited number of points and locations.
- Use long names and descriptions for easy recognition.
- Apply an icon to each point. Even create your own icons using
PathAway Tools for Windows.
- Goto points on the map, or points along a track.
- Create routes by simply clicking points on a map, or by
adding points from your Points database.
- Choose a recorded track to follow.
- Follow routes either forward or reverse (back-track). Great
for finding your way home.
- Simulate (play) your route travel before you go.
- Determine your total distance and estimated travel time
to destination. Time can be estimated by current speed, average
speed, or a custom speed setting.
- PathAway can record your location at regular intervals
as you travel with a GPS.
- The track line is displayed on the map as you travel.
- You can then reuse the track to follow at a later time.
- Time and distance are recorded in the track log, useful
for accurate travel planning.
- All track points can be added to your points database.
Full Screen Map View - Utilizes most of the screen to show as large a map area as possible. Long/Lat, speed, elevation, and direction of travel are displayed. This data is the “navigation” data in the program.
Tracking View - Shows the map and navigation data. Default travel stats are related to information specific to your current trip.
Route View - Shows the map and “navigation” data, plus full info for point proximity. As you approach a point, “Estimated time to next destination (ete)”, “Distance to” and “Course to” are displayed.
Compass View - Shows the navigation Compass and selected “navigation” data.
The Compass view is customizable. The screen can display data in a “Tiled” format, or a single Compass in full screen.
GPS Sky View - Shows information about the current status of the GPS. GPS must be in use. To turn on the GPS, select the menu Options->GPS->Use GPS command.
- Preferences for distance and elevation units, course display,
time estimation, proximity notification, map display detail,
and track recording precision.
- Use of device "hard" keys for easily adding points,
scrolling maps, changing views, connecting/disconnecting to
In-Hand Data Management
- Edit point, route, and track databases
- Import and Export between GPX, LOC, KML, and text delimited formats
Windows PC-based Management
PathAway Tools - Map Manager
- For preparing maps to use on the device. You just need
to specify the longitude and latitude coordinates of each
PathAway Tools - Icon Manager
- For adding icons for points and vehicles to be used
on the device. Create your own using a bitmap editor, and
add them to your icons database.
PathAway Tools - Database Import/Export
- Import/export Points, routes, and track databases. transfer
between standard comma-delimited files.