Map Manager produces wrong colors

Questions and problems regarding PathAway Map Manager

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

Plenz

Map Manager produces wrong colors

Postby Plenz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:01 am

I created a map, reduced the colors to 256, saved it as a BMP file, and imported it into the map manager (also with 256 colors). The result looks terribly. How can I prevent this? See the original on the left side and the result on the right side. If I import it with 16 bit colors, it looks good, but the size of the file is very big.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:02 pm

Can you send me the original map to take a look at.

One way that may work better is if you have PathAway convert from 16-bit to 256 colors. Converting to 8-bit first is no advantage unless you convert using the PathAway 256 color palette file PW8BitColor.pal. This file is in the same folder where Map Manager is installed. Usually Program Files\PathAway GPS 4.

Plenz

Postby Plenz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:38 am

Scott wrote:Converting to 8-bit first is no advantage unless you convert using the PathAway 256 color palette file PW8BitColor.pal.

OK, if your program always uses one special palette, I understand where those results come from. I will examinate this issue a little bit more, before I send you samples.

Plenz

Postby Plenz » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:54 am

Well, some results are here.

This is what I tried: I converted a map in PaintShop Pro to 256 colors and saved it's color palette as PW8BitColor.pal. Then I imported the original map into the PA Map Manager. The result was rather bad again.

Then I tried other color reduction methods in PaintShop Pro. There is a method named "Standard / Web-safe" which brings similar results as the PA Map Manager. The best method (which I normally use) is named "Median cut".

But also that map (made by my own *.pal) works on my Pocket PC! 8)
So I wonder why you use one single pal for all maps.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:46 pm

The single Pal is to provide compatibility across all platforms including 8-bit color and grayscale devices.

We will be expanding this in the future to allow any .pal in the future because all new devices are now 16-bit color or higher.

Return to “PathAway Map Manager”