let marker stay at real position

Enter general ideas or complaints to be considered for future versions.

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

h.bunjes

Postby h.bunjes » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:20 am

Hi!

I tried using Pathaway PPC with a BT GPS during some longer walks. There is just one thing that really annoys me:

When I move the map with my stylus, the position marker (arrow) is repositioned to the middle of the screen which is incorrect and confusing because thats not where I am.

I understand, that it would be some work to change this behaviour, but I think it would be very useful. Lets for example say that Im walking north. If it was possible to move the screen and still have a moving map but with the marker at any user chosen screen position then I could move the marker to the bottom of the screen and see double as much of the front-area as now. If I move the marker out of screen completely, there could be a small arrow at the border of the screen pointing to the direction where the marker can be found.

For me thiws would be a very big improvement, because now, as soon as I move the map it is no longer possible to see where I am.

What do you think?

zamzon

Postby zamzon » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:19 am

I think there is no one (maybe except Scott, which would have to do the work :-/ who is not wanting, that the position marker is *always* at the GPS position.

When moved outside the visible area (screen), the marker could get stuck at the screen border to visualize where the map has been moved to and the map and the marker could be moved back to - lets say 10% inside the screen towards the center - at the next positon update. And stay there! (keep its relative 'distance' from the center depending on the moving direction and screen height and width)

The distance (against moving direction) might also be automatically derived from the traveling speed. This would allow to see more of the map 'ahead'. (this would look like the postion marker is blown back from the airstream of the moving velocity). I guess this would be the ultimate solution (at least for faster traveling e.g. with a motorbike.

Thank you for reading.

h.bunjes

Thanks

Postby h.bunjes » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Thank you for confirming my request. I still hope that we will be heard.

goon

Postby goon » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:45 pm

zamzon wrote:
The distance (against moving direction) might also be automatically derived from the traveling speed. This would allow to see more of the map 'ahead'. (this would look like the postion marker is blown back from the airstream of the moving velocity). I guess this would be the ultimate solution (at least for faster traveling e.g. with a motorbike.

This is a great idea. It could be done simply by allowing an option to set the GPS position marker 50 - 100% down the screen (in track up mode).

A new option in the map preferences menu: Show GPS marker xx% down screen! :lol:

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:48 am

This is a highly requested feature. Look for it in a future version.

h.bunjes

Postby h.bunjes » Tue May 22, 2007 5:04 pm

Hello scott.
I'm still a paying, loyal and nearly satisfied user.
But this missing feature or as I see it: bug, is really annoying me. I do a lot of walking and I'm often moving the pathaway-map with the stylus to have a look around in the map. The alway centered marker is really totally fretful because (OK, I repeat myself here) it's WRONG.

Please, please. You said: "This is a highly requested feature. Look for it in a future version."
I am looking. But nothing happens. Is there still hope?

Regards
Heiner

BTW: My new device is a HTC P3600. Works fine with your software.

h.bunjes

Postby h.bunjes » Tue May 22, 2007 9:20 pm

It's OK,
to know that your remorse causes you sleepless nights sweetens my 18 month long feature-anticipation a little bit.

h.bunjes

Kind of desperate

Postby h.bunjes » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 pm

I have to agree. Why do you spend time embellishing the gui while there is such a major bug (because in my opinion this is a bug, the marker is shown at a position where I am NOT).

gpsrookie

Postby gpsrookie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Hi Scott,
I agree with both of them. Please fix such problems / bugs / errors before implementing new features.

goletto

Postby goletto » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:29 pm

Scott wrote:This is a highly requested feature. Look for it in a future version.

I can only repeat what others have already stated:

- LET MARKER STAY AT REAL POSITION -

And I hope the implementation will be available soon.

Regards

goletto

goletto

Postby goletto » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Scott wrote:This is a highly requested feature. Look for it in a future version.

I can only repeat what others have already stated:

- LET MARKER STAY AT REAL POSITION -

And I hope the implementation will be available soon.

Regards

goletto

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:32 pm

Showing the GPS location while manually scrolling has been part of PathAway Professional Edition, and now PathAway 5 Standard Edition.
When you manually scroll the screen, the Arrow pointer will show your current location and another symbol (the + target) will highlight the center of the screen.

goletto

let marker stay at real position, standard edition

Postby goletto » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:23 pm

Scott wrote:Showing the GPS location while manually scrolling has been part of PathAway Professional Edition, and now PathAway 5 Standard Edition.
When you manually scroll the screen, the Arrow pointer will show your current location and another symbol (the + target) will highlight the center of the screen.

Hi Scott

The latest update listed is still Version 5.00.33, March 10/2009

I believe this has not yet included this new feature.

Please explain.

Kind regards

goletto

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:17 pm

It's been there since the first 5.0 release. I went through and tested this out to ensure it's working.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. When you scroll manually while the GPS is connected, your current GPS position is shown at the correct location on the map. A second marker highlights the center of the screen.

After 10 seconds on not manually moving the map, the screen will re-center the map to your current GPS position.

gpsrookie

Postby gpsrookie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 am

Hello,

that's right, the position marker stays at the correct gps position when moving the map manually. So I have to reverse my statement: in this case there is no bug / error!

But the suggestions to improve this feature are very good to implement in a further release.

Bye, regards

Return to “General Suggestions”