PathAway seems to drain the battery more than others

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 3 for Palm OS

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

jp

PathAway seems to drain the battery more than others

Postby jp » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:47 pm

Hi

Scott mentioned in a other topic that PW 4 has a power save feature. Is this the Pocket Mode or did I miss something.

Anyhow I have been using a concurrent product for about a year and switched recently to PathAway a few days ago because of the interface with SoftMap5, i.e. maps of the USA. PathAway is in many ways significantly better than the other product although the basic functions are rather similar - Thanks for a great and seemingly rather stable product.

Anyhow, PW seems to be significantly more demanding on the battery than this other product. I have been runing PW on a 10s tracking period for less than 3 hours on a full battery and less than half load was available after my trip. Besides a few (3 to 6) times where I checked the status, PW ran in pocket mode. On the other product (although not scientificaly measured) I could run a full day with the same amount of battery.

On the other products I use the same maps, scale, and bluetooth GPS receiver.

I suspect that even while in PoketMode PW does a lot of calculation which drains the battery. Could this be an issue? Is the display of the map actually refreshed in the background? Is there something else which could drain the battery more than necessary?

Besides note that the other product does not shift the map when the screen was active as often as PW does. Unlike many other GPS software PW seems at each track interval to try to get the cursor exactly in the middle. This is nice but must also require a lot of power. Why not define a window in which the cursor might travel without having to shift the map?

Any help on this topic?

Thank you.

JP

Jicete

Postby Jicete » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:47 pm

hello,

I 've observed the same on my TH55. Before to buy PA4, I used Tracker (very good application too but not enough custimizable for me) and I can compare the longevity of the battery charge. Really, It's shorter with PA4. It seems that it was better with PA3.
In fact, this problem is not any more a problem for me since I bought an external battery which I use for my long trips.

Byby

jp

Postby jp » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:16 am

Hi Jicete:

I actually also used Tracker. I find PathAway much more feature rich than Tracker and much more stable on a PalmTX. Yet I love Tracker because of its plug in with the Swiss topographic maps. This would be nice to have this with PathAway.

Anyhow, with Tracker I can run much longer on batteries. I have also a cable when in the car but when I am hicking it really grows a problem.

I suspect that PathAway does all the calculation and graphic refreshing in the background even if you are in pocket mode. Tracker is much smarter. It does this only when you turn the screen back on reducing to the minimum the work the CPU needs to do (position tracking and alarms).

I hope that the PathAway developing group will look into this.

JP

Jicete

Postby Jicete » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi jp,

Effectively, PA is much more feature reach than Tracker. More particularly for me, I find very good the customizable dashboard with the possibility to display differents parameters like speed, odometer, time counter, etc...
If Tracker had had this possibility, I think I would continue to use it...
But to my opinion, PA is the must at the moment

Cordially

Theoidic

Pocket mode on TH55

Postby Theoidic » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:06 am

I use the Sony TH55 too. As far as I can see, Pocket Mode sets the screen to black but does not power it off... Therefore to save power I have been using the "Hold" function of the TH55 instead - initiated by sliding the power switch up towards the top of the PDA.

Now I assumed (until reading this thread) that in Pocket Mode PA stopped doing all the calculations that it must do continuously when in Hold mode. So I wanted to be able to use both Hold and Pocket Mode together to minimize unnecessary calculations and turn off the power hungry screen.
That seems impossible because both actions lock the keys and prevent engaging the other.

Is failing to shut off the screen a TH55 related quirk of Pathaway that could be fixed?
Could the Pocket Mode be changed to pause 1-2 seconds before locking the keys so I could switch into Hold as well?
Or is there no point in engaging both?
(The battery life of the TH55 is the weak link at the moment - it doesn't last as long as the 8 hrs or so of my Holux Bluetooth receiver)

Return to “PathAway for Palm OS - Support”