Tungsten E Connection problem

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 3 for Palm OS

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

Freeway

Tungsten E Connection problem

Postby Freeway » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:27 pm

Having seen reference on PathAway home page re user with Tungsten E using Pathaway, I downloaded trial software.
I find however I'm unable to connect to my NMEA data source. Confident that Speed/parity OK. which port should I be using on Tungsten E to access via the Minatuuure USB connection. I've tried many possible combinations of ports and wiring connections to the 5 wires in a USB connection lead. PDA works OK on Hot sync'ng so I'm happy PDA will connect. Do I need other sofwtware? Any ideas??

ralf

Postby ralf » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:02 pm

I have a Tungston E to. I looked for the parameter in my Palm. May bee they can help you to find the problem. My GPS-Mouse works fine. It's a Cirrio.

Protocol: NMEA
Port: Cradle (8000)
(Baud 4800, Parity N, Bits 8; Stop 1 but this depends on device)

More idea:
Do You now that the NMEA data source works?
It's important that the USB Connector don't export the 5V. The datasource need's its own powersupply.

Freeway

Tungsten E Connection issue

Postby Freeway » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:41 am

Ralf,
Thanks for the reply. Tried your suggested checks but still not sorted. As you identified, the NMEA source is seperatly powered and & I have been able to confirm its presence by feeding this into the serial port on my PC, set up in terminal mode. Data shows up OK on the window.
Do you know whether your data is going to the PDA as serial from the Kirro or is there a USB output from the unit??.
When I use my GPS with my laptop, I plug a connector into the GPS Multipin socket to give USB connectivity to it(Laptop has no Serial connections, only USB). This lead has some electronics inside it to transform the serial data to USB format.
I'm trying to connect either the serial data, or the usb formatted data, to my pda mini usb
Any further thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
Steve

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:24 pm

Hallo Steve,

I had a loose contact problem with my USB-connector between Palm an GPS-mouse. For that I have taken few measuremants on it yesterday.
Therefore I know that there is a electronic circuit between the GPS-Mouse and the USB-connector. It's a little black box (I can't open it, no screws etc.). I think it's a serial to USB-converter.
On the GPS-mouse side, on this converter, is a connector, I don't know the name, like a "hosiden-connector" witch you can find sometimes on Videorecorders. May be, that it is the GPS Multipin socket which you have reported.
On the other side is the little-USB-connector.

For that, at last, I think the data from Kirrio is, after convering, USB output.

By the way, before USB goes to the Palm there is a second circuit to give the Power (5V) to converter and source.

ralf

Postby ralf » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:28 pm

pardon, there was something wrong! last post was from me.

Ralf

Freeway

Tungsten E connection Problem

Postby Freeway » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:47 pm

Ralf, How do you connect your usb input to your PDA? You referred to the electronics that converts to usb (the black box), has this unit already got a mini usb connection lead to connect to the pda or have you made up a custom lead to connect?
I have used a seperate 5V supply to power the serial/usb converter but i'm not sure of the data lines.
When you get a connection does the gps 'preferences' screen change immeadiately??
Mine continually shows "Searching Fix: 0 View: 0"

Thanks
Steve

ralf

Postby ralf » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:02 pm

Hallo Steve,

the mini usb connects not directly to the Palm. But, I think, it's only a adapter plug where the power (5V) is added. I found on same pins, between input and output connectors, on all pins 0 Ohm.
I can do a measurement at evening to report on which pin You have to have 5V.
If I connect a GPS mouse with data and switch to connect (Menu: GPS, Connect) it appers a line with data on the buttom of the display. At the headline left pulses a sand glass. The sand glass appears only if data from satellites are available.
In evening I will have a look what the preferences (Menu: GPS, Configure GPS...) shows You have reported ("Searching Fix: 0 View: 0"). I dont' remember exactly, but I think it shows continuing the fixed and viewed satellites, and beneath what data they supplies.

Ralf

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:49 am

Hello Steve,

now more information (a little later as expected).

I found the 5V in this configuration:
See on Your Palm then You see what I try to write in Textgraphic.

Code: Select all

(not a code but a connector. I only needed monospace :oops: )
First pin from left is +5V, and the fourth Pin is 0V. But the best is You find out the configuration of this mini USB connector.

There is another important Information for You. I found out following:
If I connected to the GPS (Menu: GPS, Connect) before I switched on the power for GPS mouse, the Palm hadn't found data. It reported CTS:off RTS:off DSR:off. Only after one or two connections (Menu: GPS, Connect) it gets data. May be it's a sync-problem. But if You try to find out the correct pin configuration You have this problem too.

I hope You understood what I wrote. My english is not the best. Excuse me.

Ralf

andrevaz

Postby andrevaz » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:12 am

hey, guys

i´m andre, from são paulo - Brazil, i have a garmin etrex vista and a tungsten E, any of you know how to connect them, so i can use the pathaway in my palm to help me flying around the country???

thanks a lot

andre

Connecting a Garmin Legend and Palm Tungsten E

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:41 pm

Any advice and guidance on how to connect these two devices and run Pathaway?

Ta, Mike (UK Paraglider Pilot)

TomoHawk

Postby TomoHawk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 am

AFAIK, the mouse-type receivers ( I use a Holux) have a DIN connector, which just needs to be converted to USB.

The port used on that is the "Kirrio" port.

Return to “PathAway for Palm OS - Support”