Bluetooth On A Palm Vx

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 3 for Palm OS

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

esbark

Bluetooth On A Palm Vx

Postby esbark » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:29 pm

I am about to obtain a TDK Blue5 Bluetooth Sled for my Palm VX . Will Pathaway run on this setup via bluetooth.?

What I mean is that the bluetooth sled will only work with Palm O/S up to version 3.3. Pathaway 4 requires version greater than version 3.5. what about earlier versions of pathaway? would version 3 work? or would I lose a lot of functionality.

Finally does my version 4 licence allow me to use an earlier version like 3 ?
if it were to work? :?:

I have pathaway 4 running well on my VX but need to rid myself of the serial umbelical cord.

Thanking you.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:55 pm

You can try PathAway 2, but it was created long before Bluetooth was available for Palm devices. Yes there is a significant feature difference bewteen PW2 and 4.

esbark

Bluetooth on a palm VX

Postby esbark » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Thank You Scott

esbark

Bluetooth On a Palm VX

Postby esbark » Thu May 03, 2007 2:12 am

Scott,

I realised that asking for Bluetooth on a palm vx was asking a bit much so I abandoned the VX in favour of a Palm M515. I bought a BlueM bluetooth sled and a brand new IBLUE 737 which is the latest all singing and all dancing GPS receiver. The only snag is that it wont hold a reliable fix on the map no matter what settings I try. The initial fix is spot on but then the fix starts to wander all over the map before the map freezes and I am having to soft start it again and again. I think half of the problem is that there are two many setting choices and I cant get the right combination. The GPS says that it is 115200 Baud with NMEA 0183 V3.01 ( default GGA,GSA,GSV,RMC) whatever that is. Can you suggest settings for baud rate,NMEA protocol,timer com or not. Pathaway is perfect on a serial connection on my old VX but I cant get it to work on bluetooth with this new equipment.

I am certain that there are no issues with the GPS and I am running 4.00.64 latest download.
Thank you

Help Please

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu May 03, 2007 2:23 am

It's best to try to use as low a baud rate as possible. If the unit can communicate at 4800 baud, that one is probably best. It is no advantage to use a faster baud rate. What may be happening is that there is an overflow because the screen refresh can't keep up with the data flowing in.
Last edited by Scott on Fri May 04, 2007 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

esbark

Bluetooth on a palm VX

Postby esbark » Thu May 03, 2007 2:40 pm

Scott,

Thank you for that. I think you are right. I noticed last night that the unit could indeed communicate at 4800 baud and that that setting seemed to give the best results.
I will carry out exhaustive tests this evening and report my findings.

Thank you for your quick reply.

esbark

Bluetooth on a palm VX

Postby esbark » Fri May 04, 2007 1:19 am

Scott,

I ran a pretty comprehensive test as promised:-

Protocol = NEMEA
Baud = 4800
Timer Com = Checked

The bluetooth connected fine and my position was shown accurately on the map.

It seemed to be pretty stationary on the map ( I was sitting in the garden ) with the position arrow just flicking slightly as expected. SO FAR SO GOOD

I tapped home to come out of Pathaway and it wouldnt switch pathaway off. ( it just locked up)

I reset everything and connected again I looked at the Sat status page and all was well. I then went back to the full screen map view and it crashed. after resetting everything again I had a "out of memory" then a "fatal exception" then a screen freeze. After resetting between all of these events and setting up various settings which had been changed I decided that if I could get it navigating then perhaps if i did not touch anything then it just might be feasable to navigate. So I started to walk. My position changed on the map but it was not now particularly accurate so I think that made up my mind. Back to my serial cable I am afraid.

Perhaps bluetooth istnt such a good idea after all.

I will revisit it sometime in the future (':(')

esbark

Postby esbark » Wed May 09, 2007 1:39 pm

I am revisiting this problem. I dont like to be beaten !!!!

I read every posting in this forum which mentioned BLUETOOTH and came across a recommendation by a guest "MRUSHT" suggesting the purchase of a receiver from AKTRONIX in Singapore.

My existing serial GPS contains a sirf 3 chipset and it is manufactured by by Globalsat and it works beatifully. I found a GPS with this same chipset on the AKTRONIX site so I have purchased one. It is advertised as working at 4,800 baud which encouraged me to buy.

I will report my findings in this thread as soon as I receive it.

Regards

esbark

Bluetooth On A Palm Vx

Postby esbark » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Well I got my Bluetooth GPS from singapore but I still cannot get any significant communication.

I am blaming the fact that the M515 Palm PC and the bluetooth adapter with which I am using it (BLUEM) are quite dated now and are probably the reason for my failure.

PW is working beautifully using a serial connection so I will leave it at that. I can get a full 8 hour navigation session out of my batteries which I suspect would be difficult to achieve with a bluetooth enabled PDA.

So I guess that I have to accept the fact that I am beaten !!!!!! ( but not Unhappy )

Regards

Return to “PathAway for Palm OS - Support”