FIXED: Importing GPX causes soft reset

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS

Moderator: Scott

Dodger

FIXED: Importing GPX causes soft reset

Postby Dodger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:35 am

I am using a Palm TX, Pathaway 4.00.71.

I am attempting to take advantage of the new GPX importing features of Pathaway. I generated a GPX "Pocket Query" from Geocaching.com.

The Resulting GPX file is 644K in size. The GPX file was copied to the Pathaway\Points folder I created on my SD card using a card reader.

In Pathaway, on attempting to import this GPX file using Options/Points Databases - Database Menu/Import, I navigate to the folder containing the GPX file, select the file, press the OK button, the import appears to start, then very quickly (approximately 1/2 second) the screen goes black and the device soft-resets.

The GPX file I'm using is attached below. Because the forum will not allow upload of a .GPX file, I've renamed the attachment .TXT.
Attachments
1356324_gpx.txt
GPX file that causes soft resets every time
(643.2 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:16 am

Further, I tried a smaller GPX file - This one only contains 30 cache entries. On attempting to import - Same result - Crash & soft reset every time.
Attachments
1356407gpx.txt
Smaller GPX file still causes crash
(168.97 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

Mandox

Postby Mandox » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:57 pm

I am having the same problems. Seems to be a mistake in the import routine.
As a workaround, I create pocket queries as .loc files. These are much smaller and just as useful for PW. Pathaway will only import the GC-id and the cache name anyway, so you don't need the large gpx files for that.

Another way to go is to use Cachemate. You can open GPX files with the desktop tool and points will be automatically replicated to the palm app. There, you can select any points and export them directly into PW.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:47 pm

Oops - Seems I posted this in the wrong forum area... It should have been in the Pathaway 4 Palm Support area, not Pathaway 3 area...

Scott - Could you move this entire thread to the correct area for me? (Sorry about that...)

Mandox: Yeah, I've been doing it the same way - Using a LOC file - But according to the latest info, PW 4.00.71 was supposed to be able to import more info (including geocache notes for each point I believe) from GPX files. I was looking forward to not having to switch back & forth between PW and CacheMate - Just viewing the Point notes by tapping the point on the map would be a nice feature if PW 1) imported the GPX without crashing and 2)imported the note text for each point.

Dodger

Mandox

Postby Mandox » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:35 pm

...and since the PathAway Data Transfer Utility strips off any info except name and ID it is no use either.
Have you tried GSAK yet? You can define just about any data structure you like and save as gpx file. Maybe this way you can find the code that causes the crash and just leave it out (even though this propably is something the Pathaway people should do :wink: )

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:34 am

This should now be fixed. Build 4.00.71 has been re-posted. Please download it and try it.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:17 am

As usual, bravo Scott.

The latest release of .71 does indeed allow the direct import of raw GPX files. The import provided the geocache coordinates, the waypoint name, the cache name and the difficulty, all displayed in each geocache note.

Thanks Scott! As always, another job well done. I look forward to being able to import the additional tags as well! :-)

Dodger

mobilemike

Importing GPX causes soft reset 4.00.84

Postby mobilemike » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately I still get an soft reset if I try to import a GPX file. Is the import routine broken or is the attached GPX file not valid??

Cheers
Mike
Attachments
GC11FCT - Planetenweg Königsleiten.zip
geocaching.com - GC11FCT
(11.02 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:11 am

Hi Scott,

Same problem here: versions between 4.00.71 and 4.0084 reset my Treo 650 when I'm trying to import a GPX file. Tested it with different sizes and contents. After you press the import button the device resets reproducible.

Please check this bug again as I need this feature very often and converting is the second best solution only.

Thanks,
Guenther

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:58 pm

I could import the GC11FCT into 4.00.84 without a problem. Can someone post another gpx that has this problem?

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi Scott,

Can someone post another gpx that has this problem?

Sure - I have tested several GPX files: one with 500 points (lat(lon/time/elev) and some with just 3 points.
There is no difference. After pressing the ok button my Treo 650 resets.

Regards,
Guenther
Attachments
GPX-testfiles.zip
(9.26 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

mobilemike

Postby mobilemike » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Thank you Guenther for providing these sample GPX files.
Same here: Softreset after clicking on "Ok" to import any of these files.

Even an empty gpx file (based on GPX Schema 1.1 from http://www.topografix.com/) causes a soft reset:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<gpx creator="" version="1.1"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 gpx.xsd " xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1">
</gpx>

:(
Scott, help is much appreciated.
Greetings
Mike

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi Scott,

I've checked it again with 4.00.87: no change - my Treo resets always.
I even deleted PW from my device and started with a complete new installation to avoid problems with old settings. But also no success. :cry:

Regards,
Guenther

mobilemike

Postby mobilemike » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi,

well, I think Scott is rather busy working on version 5 of PathAway GPS for Windows Mobile.
But one guess: Probably the import routine handles date and time values locale specific. Since Scott is probably using an English device his import works fine. Guenthers and my device is configured German and this could be the reason why the import causes the soft reset.

Just a guess.

Cheers
Mike

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi Scott,

Maybe Mike has found some hint. At least when I look closer into my point databases I found some entries with no date and time or even an entry with date from the year 1899! I'm not sure, but most entries were created inside PW, so some old version may have created corrupted entries.

Another hint:
- Create a new test database, let's say testdb
- Create one waypoint "testpoint" inside this database
- Export this database as testdb.gpx
- Import this testdb.gpx again in PW: et voilá - reset again!
- Same with export/import of a .loc file, only .pwpts works

This means even the gpx created by PW itself causes a reset. When I look into that file I can't find any errors. So probably something is really broken in the import routine. Maybe it is caused by some localization.

If you have a debug version I would be happy to assist you in sending you a trace file created on my Treo.

Regards,
Guenther

Return to “PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS - Support”