Crashing when exiting 4.36

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS

Moderator: Scott

goon

Crashing when exiting 4.36

Postby goon » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:01 pm

I'm getting frequent lock ups on a Palm T3 when exiting 4.36. Pressing the 'home' button to exit often results in a fatal exception. The only way toreset is the button on the back. This is quite inconvenient as I use Pathaway most with my Palm on a Power-to-go sled in a water proof case. Resetting is therefore a bit of a maul!

Cheers,
Gareth Evans

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:14 pm

Can you provide specific details as to when this happens. If we can reproduce it, it will get fixed. Please send bug reports via the Support Contact form.

goon

Postby goon » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:17 am

Hi Scott,
I'm up to .37 now, which only crashed once during 3 hours of use and many exits to use other applications on the Palm. I'll try and give you some more useful information should any more exceptions occur.

mshere

Crashing

Postby mshere » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:01 am

I have the same problem, crashing with a fatal exception on closing with a T3. With me it happens more than 50% of the time. I can't work out what conditions cause it to do this, except that it only happens if I have been connected to the GPS (Bluetooth, and I always stop the connection before I close the programme) and the longer it has been tracking, the more likely.
Sorry I can't give more info, but it has been happening since quite early on in the Pathaway 4 programme and I thought it just was my machine, or to be more precise all the rubbish I have loaded on it.

Actually.... I have been playing with it whilst writing this post, and I think that it is related to the use of the Compass View and GPS Sky view. If I have used one of these, even if I have gone back to one of the other views before closing, it crashes every time.

Mike Shere

rtoews

More Crashing

Postby rtoews » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:36 am

Ditto for all versions of PathAway 4.0 up to build .35 I've used so far on my T3. Mine will crash consistently under the following 2 (at least) conditions:

1. When disconnecting after track logging using Pocket Mode. When I wake up the T3 and use either the menu or the hard key to disconnect, I get a crash and loose all my track data. A soft reset is required. It seems to crash after logging 20 to 30 points or more. If only a few are logged, it is OK. This has never happened after track logging with the handheld unit on (screen on), regardless of how many points are logged. I have logged hundreds of points and toggled GPS on and off during a trip without a problem provided I do not use Pocket Mode.

2. When moving points from one database to another. It will move one, mayber two, and then crash. Recently I had to do a hard reset when my T3 wouldn't reboot after several soft resets following an attempt to transfer multiple points. I guess I should have quit while I was ahead.

It would be great to solve this problem since otherwise I love the software and use it all of the time.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:38 am

Some or all of these crashes may now be fixed. Please let me know if there are situations where PathAway still crashes.

There is a test PathAway4.prc with the fix, posted on this discussion.
http://pathaway.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1373#1373

rtoews

Pathaway 4 Crashes

Postby rtoews » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:49 am

Where is the test prc? Is it in a format which can be downloaded directly to my Mac? Previously I have had to download the entire exe. file, run it under Virtual PC, and then transfer the prc files to OSX. Support for OSX would also be much appreciated, even if it is only in the download formats. (When using Safari in OSX I just get a text file when I attempt to download one of the individual prc files).

Return to “PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS - Support”