map vanishes

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS

Moderator: Scott

jazubon

map vanishes

Postby jazubon » Fri May 04, 2007 12:12 pm

When GPS is connected and running and I open a map, the map vanishes after a few seconds....what is the reason for this please? Tungsten T3.

I have calibrated the map in the desktop pc app. I havent entered or started any routes...i just want to open the map connect to gps (via bluetooth...which wors fine) and get pathaway to centre the map on my location.

Any help gratefully received

StuBee

Postby StuBee » Fri May 04, 2007 11:12 pm

I think that would make sense if you the map wasn't properly calibrated. It didn't really disappear, but is somewhere else in the non-viewing area.

I'd suggest playing with a map of your house area (example from Google earth), so you can play around with proper calibration techniques in Pathaway Map Manager

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sat May 05, 2007 4:49 pm

The previous post is correct - That is exactly what's happening. When you initially display the map, the GPS is not actually "connected" - If you look at the top of the screen, you'll see the hourglass with a little countdown timer. Once it counts down to 0, the GPS "connects" and the display shifts to show the map that covers the coordinates that your GPS says you are at.

If your map is incorrectly calibrated, it will display initially, then when the GPS connects, the map will shift to its "calibrated" location, which, if incorrectly calibrated, is likely somewhere off the viewing area of your screen.

Recalibrate your map, paying very close attention to entering the correct coordinates. If you want to find a map that is pre-calibrated (in order to test PW or your GPS, I would suggest using MapAway (http://www.iippo.net/jb/mapaway/) . Although I don't often use their maps (I download topographic maps from elsewhere) the MapAway ones are pre-calibrated specifically for PathAway when you save them, so they are great for testing the system.

Dodger

jazubon

thanks

Postby jazubon » Sat May 05, 2007 8:00 pm

thanks for the replies...exactly right...I miscalibrated. I'm finding it quite difficult to get a good scan or photo of a UK OS map as they,re quite large and difficult to flatten. But Pathaay seems to work really well. Any good sites for UK map downloads gratefully received.

Return to “PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS - Support”