License problem on the road (or off the road)

Questions and problems
motorang

License problem on the road (or off the road)

Postby motorang » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 am

Hi there,
I purchased Pathaway for Android (Express Edition, over Google Play Store) a while ago and I am using it infrequently. Being on an enduro rideout there was a problem with my phone which would not respond any more, so I had to take the battery out and put it back in to force a restart.

All apps worked flawlessly after that except Pathaway which said it had no valid license and exited again. Fortunately one in our team had another navigation device to get us out of there.

I had to wait 2 days and reinstall Pathaway from Google Play Store once Internet was available again.

Is there a recommendation to avoid such in the future? Some "standalone license" or information in which file the license information is stored to keep a copy of it?

Thanks for answering this one
Andy

Delago

Postby Delago » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi Scott,
in the German QuoVadis board there is another person having exactly the same problem:
forum.quovadis-gps.com/50340-software-is-not-licensed.html

A software like PathAway seems pretty useless to me if it cannot be used far away from civilization having no connection to mobile networks.

Could you give some advice, please, to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Greetings
Werner

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:01 pm

In these cases, I suggest switching over to a PathAway.com license.
This requires a registration key based on the UID of the device.
If you go into your About->Register dialog, you will see the registration key you can use to unlock the trial version on http://pathaway.com

You will need to remove the Google Play version before installing the PathAway.com version. Your data will be retained.

This applies only to Express Edition or higher.

Delago

Postby Delago » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Hello Scott,
thanks for the information.
Will the customer have to purchase a new licence or can the existing licence from the Android store be transferred?

Greetings
Werner

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:21 pm

For Express Edition or higher, there is no cost to transfer the license type.
Just make a note of the registration key on the Google Play version before you uninstall it and install the PathAway.com version.

Delago

Postby Delago » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Scott,
I'm glad to hear this! Thanks!

I will tell this in the QV board and I think Franz will contact you.

Many greetings from Germany
Werner

motorang

Postby motorang » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi Scott,
that worked a treat on my Android 2.3.6 device with PW Express 5.75.13.01!

Just to put it in my own words (English wording is only a guess here as my Android version is all German):

1. Open Pathaway, open Settings, open Registration
  2. Write down Reg.code
  3. Open Google Play, choose Pathaway and uninstall
  4. Open web address http://pathaway.com/dlpw5expandroid/
  5. Download apk file
  6. Make sure in the device Android settings that installation from unknown sources is allowed (in Apps menu)
  7. From any file explorer (Astro etc) open the apk file you downloaded before
  8. After installation (which requires 1 or 2 YES taps) start Pathaway
  9. Open Settings, open Registration
  10. Enter Reg.code you wrote down before and tap "Register" at the top of the screen

Mission accomplished.

Thanks, Scott.
Andy

nehaali

Postby nehaali » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:36 pm

I get every now and then during navigation a black frozen screen with the PathAway logo. The only solution I've found so far is to kill the app. I am using Samsung Galaxy S3. What is this frozen screen? Bug? How can I get rid of this frozen screen?

Ulmer.Spatz

Postby Ulmer.Spatz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:53 pm

I had the same problem some time ago (Galaxy NoteII). I have PW then ended in Android among active applications. After the error was gone. A complete uninstall and new installation could also help you.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:08 pm

First, ensure you are running the latest version of the App. If you purchased on PathAway.com then download the app and install it over your current version. On Google Play you may need to go to the Google Play App and Update manually. Most likely the problem has occurred due to a memory limitation.

If you find a repeatable sequence that causes the crash then please let us know so we can fix it. Otherwise try this:
- in your sdcard/PathAway folder, delete the files with .pwf extension. Note these will reset your settings, and you will need to enter your Registration key again (pathaway.com version only).
- or you can remove your tracks/routes/points by deleting the PathAwayDB. Try moving it to a different location first so you can move it back if it doesn't make a difference.
- the final thing is to remove some of your PathAway maps (if you have any).

Return to “PathAway for Android - Support”