Connecting a Garmin or Magellan handheld GPS

General Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed May 11, 2005 11:56 pm

What do I need to connect my Garmin or Magellan handheld GPS?

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed May 11, 2005 11:57 pm

First, you need a serial cable and an adapter cable to fit to your particular Palm OS model. You can find places to purchase cables by checking with your GPS Dealer or manufacturer or by checking the sites listed on out http://pathaway.com/links.htm page under "GPS Cables and Accessories".

Once you have the cables and have both PathAway and the GPS connected and turned on, you need to match the GPS Protocol and Baud Rate. On your device, there will be a setup option to set the GPS to NMEA and specify a baud rate. 4800 is the most common baud rate found on most GPS devices. Then, In PathAway, click on the GPS menu, and choose the "GPS Configure" dialog. Set the protocol and baud rate in this dialog to match the settings on the GPS.

Note that for Garmin models, you can also use Garmin-Garmin protocol instead of NMEA. Use this option if you are also transferring track, routes or waypoints between PathAway and the GPS (otherwise you would need to switch back and forth. NMEA for navigation, Garmin mode for transferring data)

Postby Guest » Wed May 25, 2005 1:14 am

I had a lot of trouble connecting my Treo 600 to a Garmen 38. I could not find a suitable cable but had a reo serial link. It turned out that you have to put 6 volts on pin 1, 6, 7 or 8. There is no 6 volts from the devices so a small battery was the only solution - unless you know better.

Return to “General FAQs”