Active Tracks vs Following Tracks

General Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed May 11, 2005 11:29 pm

I recorded a track and set it to FOLLOW Forward. At the first try for ACTIVATE I got an error because I already selected it to follow. Now I tried it again but disabled the FOLLOW before ACTIVATE. And with ACTIVATE it works. But now the track is not set to FOLLOW.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed May 11, 2005 11:33 pm

Once you select a track to FOLLOW, it becomes your ROUTE.

When you ACTIVATE a Track, it becomes the Track file you will write to when you travel.

So you can't have a track to FOLLOW and be ACTIVE at the same time. When you set a track to FOLLOW, PathAway automatically prepares another NEW track to record to and marks the FOLLOW track as your current Route.

So to go to the first point in the track you are FOLLOWING. Choose "Goto Start of Route".

Quintessence22

Postby Quintessence22 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi,

I'm a total newbie to GPS and Pathaway.

What exactly is the difference between a Route and a Track in Pathaway? I have a tracklog that recorded 103 points...

What happens when you "Activate" a Track vs. clicking "Goto"?
What happens when you click "Goto" on a Route in the list?

Can you copy points recorded into a Track and put them into a Route? Or am I getting this all wrong?

Please help as I'm considering purchasing either PathAway 4 or Megalith GPS Tuner 4.2.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:18 am

Goto means simply "set your position manually to the location of the selected item. Ie. If you have a point called "My Home" and you select if from the Points list and choose "Show", it will reposition the map to this location. Goto and Show, are meant to used when the GPS is disconnected and you are only browsing around.

So when you want to use the GPS to navigate to a certain location, that is when you need to "Follow" a "Route".

Here are the possible Route scenarios:

- You can manually create routes by adding a sequence of points together. These Routes are stored in your Routes list. When you want to use one of these Routes, you choose Follow "Forward", or "Reverse".

- If you have travelled with the GPS with "Tracking" on, you can use this "Track" as your "Route". If you're looking to go back the way you came, you would go into the Tracks dialog, select the Active Track, and choose Follow "Reverse".

- If you have a waypoint stored, ie. "Favorite Pub", and you want to simply navigate straight there, you can select this point from the list (or map) and choose "Add to Route" - "New Route" - Navigate to Point.

Hope this helps.

Return to “General FAQs”