PathAway Support Forum Index PathAway Support
Discussion board for PathAway for Mobile Handheld Devices

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMG maps - cant calibrate correctly ? Advise/help please ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PathAway Support Forum Index -> Calibrating Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerryF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: AMG maps - cant calibrate correctly ? Advise/help please ? Reply with quote

I have a map of an area of Sydney Australia that Ive scanned which has AMG coordinates of the form 6280000mN, 292000mE in zone 56.

I also have some known POINTS from a public GPS database Ive loaded in.

In the MAP manager Im unsure how to correctly calibrate the map. Its clearly not a simple matter of using a rectangular calibration type with a datum of AMG66 or AMG84, which this map presumably uses. (I calibrated using 4 known points, which were grid intersection points off the map).

When I view this in Pathaway, the known points appear suspiciously to the east of the correct point. Of course I was expecting them to coincide with the correct physical location (which I also know on the map).

Also centring on known grid points on the visible grid lines gives incorrect grid references according to what the hardcopy map says, unless those points are the corners of the map.

Having done some reading I now suspect I need to use a PROJECTION calibration, probably with AMG66 datam and a transverse mercator projection. However I have no idea what the projection parameters are for, nor what I should set them to - in fact clearly Im fairly new to all this !

Im hoping someone has been there and done that before - am I on the right track ? What setup should I use in Map Manager to get the map correctly coordinated ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tez.
dg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there is definitely a problem here.

I tried to register a 1:250000 map sheet using 2 points, TL BR, MGA datum, lat longs. GPS point plotted about 20km east of the correct map position. I recalibrated the TL and BR in the handheld, this time using UTM grid coordinates. That fixed the problem, GPS point plotted where it should on the map.

I would also like to look at the "Advanced Mapping Manual" mentioned on page 70 of the PathAway manual. Anyone know where this is hiden?? None of the hotlinks in the manual work, also it is not bookmarked.
xombul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled for [pathaway "Advanced Mapping Manual"] and came with this:
http://www.pathaway.com/advancedmapmanual3.pdf
I don't know if it helps (it didn't help me, but what I was looking for was not about projections).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PathAway Support Forum Index -> Calibrating Maps All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: