PW 4.00.71 takes ages to start

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS

Moderator: Scott

Guenther Erhard

PW 4.00.71 takes ages to start

Postby Guenther Erhard » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:31 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the new version.

Unfortunately I observed a really nasty effect: when PW starts it takes over 10 seconds until the hour glass vanishes and I can access the menus. With 4.00.67 the starting process takes only 2 seconds and 4.00.69 takes 10+ seconds at the first start, but after that also just 2 seconds.

Are there any new checks running in background?

TIA
Guenther

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:01 am

Guenther:

Not sure what might be causing such a problem for you, but on my Palm TX, 4.00.71 starts up pretty much as quickly as all the previous versions (5 seconds on my system - I have 198 maps (87 Megs of maps) on my SD card).

The only time I've noticed a long delay (with the hourglass) is when I've had to re-enter the paths to my directories (Maps, Tracks, Routes, etc.) and the system had to re-scan the MANY maps I have on my SD card as a result of accidentally starting Pathaway without the SD card in place. (On my system, if you pop the SD card out, then forget to put it back in before launching Pathaway, even after putting the SD card back in & restarting Pathaway, it no longer knows the previously entered directory locations and they all have to be re-entered)

Beyond that problem, startup time for me seems normal...

Dodger

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi Dodger,

I have also 100+ maps (~0.5G) installed.
It is easy for me to reproduce:
- installing 4.00.71 and every start takes up to 20 seconds
- then installing e.g. 4.00.67: regardless what I do - every start is faster than 5 seconds
- installing 4.00.71 back and the start up time is very long again.

No SD card switching or anything else. So I think there is something different in this new version.

Guenther

fishhead

Re: PW 4.00.71 takes ages to start

Postby fishhead » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:09 pm

I think it is a problem with the point db.
4.00.71 activates all point dbs at the start, it ignores all selections I have done before.
fishhead

Guenther Erhard wrote:Hi Scott,
Unfortunately I observed a really nasty effect: when PW starts it takes over 10 seconds until the hour glass vanishes and I can access the menus. With 4.00.67 the starting process takes only 2 seconds and 4.00.69 takes 10+ seconds at the first start, but after that also just 2 seconds.

Are there any new checks running in background?

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:18 pm

Hi fishhead,

Yes, that is the reason. I can uncheck all point databases, but after a restart of PW they are checked again.

I'll post a bug report.

Thanks,
Guenther

abecdd

PW start time still verry long with 4.0.80

Postby abecdd » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:18 am

Hi,

just updated from 4.00.69 to 4.00.80 and noticed the long time until the hour glas disapears. Searching the forum for a hint, I found this thread. I disabled all the databases and maps I don't need. They stay disabled after a restart but the load time is still about 10 seconds.

Did anybody figured out what the issue is?

Palm TX, PW 4.00.80 and about 100 maps (about 5MB each, half of them disabled), databases insignificant (just a couple of points)

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi Axel,

I also have usually between 100 and 200 maps with a size of 10M on my Treo. Disabling of maps and databases works now with the latest version. Startup time is on my device about 6 seconds with about 50% of the maps and all point databases selected.

I'd say that your 10 seconds are o.k. Depends also on the speed of your SD-Card. When I posted this bug report the startup time was often over 20 seconds. This is now fixed, although the older versions were a little bit faster at startup.

HTH
Guenther

Return to “PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS - Support”