Holux M-1000 receiver

Questions and problems regarding connecting GPS Receivers.

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

passaro

Holux M-1000 receiver

Postby passaro » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:07 pm

Hello folks,

I had recently the opportunity to sell my Holux GPSlim 236 and buy the more recent version Holux M-1000. It connects perfectly to my HTC TyTN with WM6 and it is driven by the device operating system, all I had to do in PathAway was to select the protocol Windows Mobile GPS in GPS configuration screen.

The reason for change is due to its better autonomy (23 hours max according to specs). It has the new chipset MT3318 from MediaTek capable of tracking 32 simultaneous sattelites (are there so many :?: ). You can see the full specification here. And you may have a good surprise with the price.

Comparing with the previous I had using the well known Sirf Star III, this new one seems sometimes to take more time for the first fix, but then it is more sensitive. I was able to maintain a fix in my house interior, which I couldn't with the GPSlim 236. Tracking seems equally precise.

No complaints about speed, it sends data once a second, and PathAway is able to maintain the rithm with 1 or 2 seconds delay. The device comes with static navigation turned off by default, meaning that when you are stopped you can see some minor updating to the position, but it can afect the direction of the cursor.

If I have more news I will share them.

Have fun!

passaro

Postby passaro » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:04 am

With this receiver M-1000, I had some trouble to use it with Tomtom software, and even some times it seemed to have some pauses tramitting data to Pathaway.

After some googling, I found out a piece of software to handle some of device features, and it was interesting to find that the device can provide updates up to 5 Hz (5 updates/sec). You can find it, MiniGPS_1.32.zip, here.

I set the update rate to 2 Hz, which is more than enough for most GPS applications (I am not driving a plane nor a missile with this device!!!), and since then apparent comunication problems with the device disapeared.

I also found out the chipset MTK MT3318 used in the device has no static navigation mode in the SirfStarIII chipsets, and that is quite annoying.

Return to “GPS Receiver Support”