calibration is off

Questions and problems regarding map calibration and conversion.

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

macro

calibration is off

Postby macro » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:34 pm

Hello, I am using google map downloader to generate a pic of the est half of the USA. Its a rather huge map, about 78 megs. I set 9 coordinate points in the pathaway map manager, but it seems the calibration is still just a little off. Of course this works with maps that cover smaller grounds. Is there a way to get a map this large calibrated or will I need to make smaller ones ?

macro

Postby macro » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:08 pm

anyone have an answer, I seem to just always have my maps off. I am using google map downloader, and some maps I made cover huge distances. I callibrated using known points skewerd, know points, and top left bottom right. No matter what though, my tracks are off. My other smaller maps I made seem to work fine, but they cover a lot less distance.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:12 pm

This is a huge map to get perfectly calibrated if it's pixels are not perfectly spread apart. I suggest splitting it into smaller sizes.

macro

Postby macro » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Scott wrote:This is a huge map to get perfectly calibrated if it's pixels are not perfectly spread apart. I suggest splitting it into smaller sizes.

I am getting these maps from google maps. In fact I finally was able to make some reall ynice big ones with google map downloader. Sadly the latitude is always off. An example was, I made a map the size of vermont state including the island of montreal in canada. The map was rather zoomed out and yet it still didnt work out so well. Can it be that the map was too rectangular upright ? What I dont understand is, smaller ones are perfect, near near perfect. Its as they get bigger, so maybe its the method of callibration im using ? I did try known points, and top left and bottom right.

Return to “Calibrating Maps”