PathAway Support Forum Index PathAway Support
Discussion board for PathAway for Mobile Handheld Devices

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error 780 while connecting to Symbian ExtGPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PathAway Support Forum Index -> PathAway GPS 4 SE for Windows Mobile - Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Error 780 while connecting to Symbian ExtGPS Reply with quote

Hi:

I want to replace my Bluetooth receiver with the GPS receiver of a Nokia N79 phone. To do this I have on the Nokia side a freeware that "publishes" the current GPS position of the phone on Bluetooth as if it were a NMEA normal GPS receiver.

Unfortunatly, PA does not want to connect to the device although it has been paired fine previously. The error message that appears a few seconds after establishing connection with PA is error 780.

If I connect with a PC using a normal BT serial interface, I can read fine the GPS position of the Nokia.

I suspect the problem is that the the Palm recognize the phone first as a phone and does not try to address is a a serial interface. It then fails before even trying.

ExtGPS exports NMEA-0183.

Has anybody tried something like this? Is there a trick I could be using?

Thanks for any suggestion.

JP
jp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

In fact this has nothing to do with ExtGPS! This is a feature of the latest versions. On 4.87 it did not work as described above. On 4.84 same thing. On 4.66 it works perfect!

Has anybody an idea of what is going on here? Similar problems reported otherwise on the newest pathaway versions?

Thanks.

JP
jp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott:

By the way, I took the opprtunity of retesting this on the 4.0.89 version. I have unfortunatly the same sympthoms as described above. The Bluetooth connection fails when being established.

I did some more research on this. I found out the the slower the transmission speed from the GPS (i.e. the Nokia with ExtGPS) the less stable was the communication on 4.0.66. Below 9600 it does not work long. If I set it to 115200 it works for hours. Unfortunatly this trick did not help on later versions. I assume that the problem is in fact the quantity of data transfered by ExtGPS on the NMEA frame. It is typically larger than what my other 2 bluetooth sender sends.

Can you do something about this? This is rather annoying.

Although you are working on a Symbian version of Pathaway, the screen of the PalmTx is unmatched besides the iPhone. Even with Pathaway on the Symbian (i am looking forward testing the very first release) I will keep running PA on the Palm taking the GPS position from the Nokia.

Thanks.

JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PathAway Support Forum Index -> PathAway GPS 4 SE for Windows Mobile - Support All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: